Laikipia is a vast plateau, part of the Ewaso ecosystem and is situated on the Equator . It is a wilderness to the North-west of Mount Kenya straddling the equator at the heart of Kenya’s Rift Valley. Laikipia has the highest density of large mammals compared other game reserves in the country.
Laikipia is venue for the world's only marathon run in a game park. Competitors run on dirt roads within the 62,000 acre Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. The marathon is run annually, and offers grueling challenges as runners battle the high altitude (3000m) with one eye on the dirt road and the other on the spectator cheetah, rhino and elephant.
Laikipia: What Game
- The Ewaso ecosystem is home to Kenya’s second largest population of elephants
- Eight protected Rhino sanctuary with more than half of Kenya’s black rhino population
- Grevy’s zebra ,reticulated giraffe, Lelwel hartebeest Wild dogs and other large predator
Laikipia: What Activities
- Walking, Ride, cycle, and camp among the diversity of wildlife and wild landscapes against the backdrop of Mount Kenya
- Hiking, fishing, mountain climbing camel and horse safaris, fly camping and helicopter excursions
Laikipia: Best time to visit
- All months except May and November (rainy seasons)
Laikipia: Where to stay
Sweetwaters Tented Camp,Mount Kenya safari Club