Ecotourism Kenya is a civil society organization that was founded in 1996 to promote ecotourism and sustainable tourism practices in Kenya. The society is charged with the responsibility of providing the required support for the development of ecotourism and sustainable tourism in the country.
Today, the society continues to pursue the vision of making Kenya’s tourism sustainable, in terms of concern for the environment and the welfare of local communities. Through its membership Ecotourism Kenya brings together individuals, community based organizations (CBOs) and corporate organizations in a forum where they can discuss the concept of ecotourism and use this knowledge to improve practices in their respective fields.
Ecotourism Kenya Vision is to be a leader in the knowledge and practice of ecotourism
The organization mission statement is to effectively link communities, tourism and conservation for sustainable tourism development
Ecotourism Kenya goal is to promote tourism practices that will conserve Kenya's natural environment and improve livelihoods of associated communities.
The organization values are the following
- Respect for the environment
- Respect for local people and their cultures
- Equitable sharing of responsibilities and benefits
Eco-rating Scheme & Safari Code
Eco tourism on going activities
- Managing the Eco-rating Scheme, a certification system for tourism accommodation facilities in Kenya
- Managing the Eco-warrior Award, an annual award that recognizes outstanding tour operators, accommodation providers and community groups in Kenya
- Conduction educational and training programs for stakeholders in the tourism industry, with an emphasis on community groups
- Conducting surveys and research on ecotourism and sustainable tourism
- Providing advisory and consultancy services in areas of research, planning, management and policy development on issues relating to ecotourism
- Supporting communities implementing community based tourism initiatives
- Maintaining a database of ecotourism initiatives in Kenya
- Maintaining a resource center for ecotourism and sustainable tourism (see a list of some of the books available in the resource centre at the resources section of the website)
- Publishing a monthly e-letter and a quarterly newsletter to disseminate information on ecotourism and sustainable tourism