Ministry of Tourism classification: 4****
Keekorok Lodge is sited in the direct path of the Wildebeest Migration and was the first lodge to be built in the Masai Mara and At the height of the migration, the lodge is surrounded by a swarming mass of animals and there is hardly need to go for a game drive.
A 300m walkway meanders through the riverine forest in front of Keekorok Lodge with a small bar at one end overlooking a dam where the resident hippo, if he is not on ‘walk about’ finds his observers as fascinating as they find him.
Keekorok Lodge is right in the path of the annual migration of wildebeest and zebra. There is always plenty of activity around the waterhole but during the migration, the lodge is enveloped by the swarming mass of animals. One need hardly venture from ground to view game. From the verandah, and from Kiboko, there is plenty to see. One unfortunate zebra met its end right in front of the dinning room, providing supper for a pride of hungry lions, and 'live' entertainment for enthralled guests at Keekorok Lodge.
Keekorok Lodge in Masai Mara has been the greatest show on earth. A company of three millions animals migrating over a year, every year, for the past two millions years.
Safari Accommodation Masai Mara Kenya
- Accommodation at Keekorok Lodge is in bungalows, single storey blocks and in comfortable shaded chalets all en-suite. The liberal use of cedar, pink and gray sand river stone and other indigenous building materials off set the green lawns and colourful bougainvillea.
In- room amenities
Private en-suite bathrooms
Set on the banks of the Mara River, a whole roast suckling pig and lamb are carved directly onto guests’ plates as fish, chicken, pork and sausages sizzle on a barbecue. A buffet of assorted salads, tropical fruit and deserts compliment this feast fit for a king. Maasai dancers entertain guests after dinner with their unique ululation and high jumping dances. The barbecue is only operable in fine weather. A bush breakfast can also be arranged.
Culinary and Dinning FacilitiesAT Keekerok Lodge
- This opens onto a verandah and guests can eat inside or out. From the high-pitched wooden ceiling hang hand-woven wool rugs and intricately beaded Masai necklaces adorn the Sand River stone walls.
- Open between 10.00am and 5.00pm. This bar serves snacks from a small menu between meals. Snacks cannot be taken in lieu of lunch in the main restaurant.
- Sited at the end of the Keekorok Walkway overlooking a small dam , cocktails and fresh fruit juices are served daily from 10.00am - 12.30pm and 6.00pm - 8.00pm. After nightfall an armed escort must accompany guests to the bar.
- This bar situated in the main lounge serves as a dispense bar for the dining room, verandah and lounge. It is open from 6.00am until when the last guest retires for the night.
- Guests can relax in the cool lounge and adjoining shaded verandah. Board games are available from Reception.
Children Facilities on Africa Family Holiday
- Children are welcome at Keekorok. Most bedrooms are easily large enough to accommodate an extra bed. A children’s menu and early supper is available and security guards by listening out for pillow fights or a wakeful baby give parents the opportunity to enjoy a peaceful dinner.
Access by air to Masai Mara Keekerok Lodge on Africa Safari
- Air scheduled services to Keekorok are available from Nairobi’s Wilson Airport. Flying time Nairobi/Keekorok is approximately 35 - 60 minutes depending on the aircraft used and the number of stops en route.
Conference Facilities at Keekorok Lodge Masai Mara Kenya
- The Video Lounge can be pre-booked and as a quiet conference venue it has a capacity of 60 delegates’ cocktail style, 30 delegates’ theatre style and 20 delegate’s classroom style
Africa Safari Adventure Activities
The crystal clear swimming pool, shaded by bougainvillea, has ample sun beds and mattresses available for guest use. The pool is closed in the evening.
Game Viewing Drives Experience at the Masai Mara Safari
Experience Africa wilderness on wheels and spot the big five
Masai Mara Hot Air Balloon Safari
- For memories of a lifetime three hot air balloons make daily flights from Keekorok Lodge over the Maasai Mara. Piloted by a professional licensed pilot each ascent last about 45 minutes and is followed by a champagne breakfast wherever you land. In exceptionally windy or rainy weather the pilots reserve the right to cancel fights-guests are given a full refund or offered, space permitting, a flight on another day. Children under 6 years are not permitted to fly.
Video Lounge Wildlife films are shown here every evening at 9.30pm.
Experience Authentic African Culture on Africa Holiday - Cultural Maasai Dancing
- On alternate evenings a troupe of Maasai Morans entertain guests for approximately 30 minutes. Lectures on Masai traditions and culture are given daily.
At an altitude of 1,450 meters (6,400 feet) above sea level with warm days and cool evenings. April-June, October-November are the rainy season